Stuck Pipe prevention & solutionsFree
About this course
The purpose of this course is to provide well engineers, drilling supervisors and drill crew personnel with the knowledge and understanding of the causes of stuck pipe and the means to reduce or eliminate stuck pipe as a significant cause of lost time incidents and related costs.
Stuck pipe is the primary cause of non-productive time and should be considered as an inevitable drilling hazard. This short course develops an understanding of how stuck pipe prevention can be managed through the well design and construction process.
The last day of the course concentrates on solutions (fishing techniques and equipment), pre-planning and the economics of fishing operations.
This course is delivered by Aberdeen Drilling School trainers in partnership with the ADS, UK.
The course is suited for the following drilling roles:
▪ Floormen/Mud men/Mud System Operators/ Derrickmen
▪ Assistant drillers
▪ Drilling Supervisors
▪ Well Engineers
▪ Rig Engineers/Rig Managers
▪ Well planning team
An Intertek certificate will be issued upon successful completion of the course which is valid for 2 years.
▪ Stuck pipe history and statistics
▪ Fundamentals of geology and wellbore
▪ Stability fundamentals: Overburden effects, vertical and horizontal stress, well path effects, rock stress vs rock strength
▪ Stuck pipe team
▪ Stuck pipe mechanisms and causes
▪ Differential sticking, wellbore geometry and hole pack off
▪ Causes of differential sticking
▪ Hole pack off: Causes, warnings, prevention
▪ Hole cleaning, high angle hole cleaning
▪ Drilling & Tripping practices
▪ Freeing techniques
▪ Stuck pipe mechanism worksheet
Stuck pipe history and statistics
Fundamentals of geology and wellbore
Stability fundamentals: Overburden effects, vertical and horizontal stress, well path effects, rock stress vs rock strength
Stuck pipe team
Stuck pipe mechanisms and causes
Differential sticking, wellbore geometry and hole pack off
Drilling fluids and its properties
Causes of differential sticking
Hole pack off: Causes, warnings, prevention
Hole cleaning, high angle hole cleaning
Drilling & Tripping practices
Stuck pipe mechanism worksheet